Thursday, August 29, 2013

Failure of imagination.

Greetings
I started to clean the bathroom, it was not particularly dirty nor entirely spotless.  This is a form of academic procrastination, doing something that you normally put off because the thing you should be doing is worse, kitchens get clean when papers need written.  Now that the bright days of summer are over, and the trip to Nakusp is a week in the past, it is time for me to get serious about hunting for work.  Admittedly I would have liked to write more of the book, but more on that later. 

It is likely that I have harped on this problem before, but, it remains as true now as it did 4, 6, or even 10 years ago.  I don't know what a job that can keep me engaged without burning out looks like.  Test have shown that my overall well being declines quickly if the job and or the conditions it is done in are crap.

However, I have narrowed things down some more.  Of the things I have done, the limited customization and app development appealed to me far more than tinkering at making maps.  The thought process and logic keeps me engaged.  It is most like writing, requiring imagination and reason, and therefore the thing that will keep me happy, if not a little obsessed.

This post started bitchy, I then left the house, had coffee, thought about past projects and remembered the handful of things I liked buried in the mess of things that tired me out.  It's the tougher sell but it is the better play. As said, this type of work is the smallest part of what I have done.  

1 comment:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

Good thinking. Is it possible to do some freelance work in the line that you would like to work in? Like, just DO some? Design your own project?