Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bagels and Blogging

Back in the Kootenays this week. Blogging Live form Castlegar.

In this weeks news all the firewood has been hauled up to the area around the cabin. So at long last I can relax and enjoy my time off no longer worrying about a sudden snow fall covering up my precious wood. Since I got back from the coast not much has happened. But I do have some photos worth sharing from the last week or two.



I had a excellent cooking experience thanks to the kindness of some friends. I got my hands on a moose roast. Mmmmm. Not having much experience cooking roasts I picked my mothers brain but I think my gut was on the right track from the start. The moose was stabbed repeatedly and garlic pushed into the cavities. The beasty was seared and left to simmer in a slow cooker for much of the day with some thyme, olive oil, a shot of red wine. At the end of the day the meat was tasty and tender, I could have eaten Potatoes with the pan juices all day. Thanks Alfi.



2 comments:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

We had an excellent eating experience. Too bad we don't have a hunter in the family. Wild meat, food that has had a life, is different from even the most organically pastured tame beef. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if people who eat wild on a regular basis are more independent in spirit than folks whose every bite is grown in cages.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA!! just look at the family that you got the roast from!! i dont think you can find a more independant family!!